Art lovers, unite! September provides the perfect opportunity to take part in artistic events in and around Clarksville. From a competitive “paint-out” to a leisurely “artwalk,” there’s something for everyone.
Historic Collinsville Pioneer Settlement in rural Montgomery County is hosting “Create at Collinsville” on Sept. 22 & 23, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Both days will feature artists at work. Visitors on Saturday, Sept. 23, will enjoy special historical reenactors and craftspeople, including a woodworker carving spoons, a blacksmith, a spinning and weaving demonstration, an artist demonstrating how paints were made using natural pigments and minerals, and musicians playing tunes from the 1800s.
Special event admission is $10 per adult, $5 per child ages 6-12, and ages 0-5 are free.
The event is organized by the Clarksville Arts & Heritage Council, Two Rivers Society of Painters, Downtown Artists Co-op, and Visit Clarksville. Artists are invited to participate in related workshops, a Plein air paint-out, a community quick draw, and a photography contest.
Winners will be featured at the Final Exhibition and Reception on October 5 in F&M Bank’s Franklin Room located at 50 Franklin Street. The event will include an awards ceremony, art sales of pieces created during the Create at Collinsville contests, and live music from Red River Breeze. The Final Exhibition and Reception will coincide with the October First Thursday Artwalk.
But you don’t have to wait until then to bask in the creativity of local residents, along with live music, food and drinks! Artwalk happens the first Thursday of every month, including Sept. 7. Visit exhibits from local and regional artists as you stroll the streets of historic downtown Clarksville from 5 to 8 p.m. (weather permitting) The event hub is the Downtown Artists Co-Op, 96 Franklin Street.
Artwalk participating venues:
- Customs House Museum & Cultural Center, 200 South Second Street
- Mildred & Mable’s Mercantile, 109 Franklin Street
- Pups Plants + Goods, 117 Strawberry Alley
- Roxy Regional Theatre, 100 Franklin Street
- Sanctuary on Main, 334 Main Street
- The Clarksville Collection, 131 Franklin Street
- Trazo Meadery, 116 Franklin Street
- Edward’s Steakhouse, 107 Franklin Street
- River City Clay, 115 Franklin Street
- Two Birds Coffee Co., 136 South 10th Street
- DBO Gallery, 106 North 2nd Street
- Downtown Artists Co-Op, 96 Franklin Street
- First Presbyterian Church, 213 Main Street
- Hudubam, 110 Franklin Street
- The New Gallery, 44 Joseph Street
- ArtLink, 116 Strawberry Alley