– Corresponds to location on map
– Corresponds to location on map
Built in the 1830s near Chapel Hill Road in Montgomery County, Tenn., this cabin was the home of Newton and Savannah Weakley, grandparents of Historic Collinsville founder Glenn Harris Weakley. Mr. Glenn’s father, Rev. Ewing Sanford Weakley, carved his initials, ESW, in the small closet under the stairs. Glenn and his wife JoAnn established Historic Collinsville in 1974, opening to the public in 1997. Learn more about the area and its history, receive a tour map of the grounds, and browse through memorable gifts in the Visitor Center.
Samuel Weakley was a surveyor and good friends with President Andrew Jackson. Samuel surveyed many of the streets in Nashville. Here in the 1803 smokehouse, which was located behind the original Weakley home that was destroyed by winds in 1998, men would gather and visit.
Built by Nathaniel Irby, the Wildlife Center displays both animals from Tennessee and around the world, plus a Native American artifact collection.
Made from chestnut trees, this tobacco barn housed burley tobacco which was air dyed, unlike the dark-fired tobacco that was also grown in this region.
The barn was built before 1900 because a blight destroyed all the chestnut trees in the eastern U.S. at that time.
The blacksmith was a VIP in the community. He created everything that used iron or metal for the community.
R.C. “John” Collins was a blacksmith by trade. He also gave Southside, Tenn. its name, Collinsville.
Loom houses were important in established homesteads to create cloth for clothing.
Built by Barnabus Powers in 1842, the hand-hewn meat box is made from a single poplar tree and filled with salt to cure hogs and other meats before smoking them.
This home was built for the Batson’s daughter, Kitty (Catherine) in 1855, who raised her children in the house and lived there until she died. Housed in the parlor is a baby tender from the 1700s. It was found in Sarah Hale’s home in Massachusetts.
Sarah wrote “Mary Had A Little Lamb” in 1830 and was a crusader in making Thanksgiving a national holiday.
The Stanley Leimer and CB Black Pavilion is dedicated to these two gentlemen who are responsible for helping Historic Collinsville become what it is today. One of their last undertakings was to build a pavilion to give people a shaded place to take a rest, enjoy a meal or gather for special events. The area is also equipped with restrooms and electricity.
By the 19th century, the careers of cordwainers (a shoemaker) and cobblers (someone who repairs the shoes) had merged. They would travel to rural communities and set up shop to repair local shoes in return for room and board. An unused chicken coop would make a perfect shop. Cobblers traveled with a small number of tools and share news of what was happening in the other towns while they worked on shoes. When the cobbler ran out of work, he would move on to the next town.
This property was used for both worship and learning. The portable teacher’s desk is of particular interest.
This home was constructed in 1838. When Historic Collinsville acquired the house, it belonged to Dr. Benton Adkins, a neurosurgeon from Nashville. In the mid-1800s, many homes also functioned as schools for traveling teachers. Teachers earned a very small income of $30 a year for female teachers and $60 a year for white males. Inside you will find nice, but simple, furniture and on the wall are written the rules that teachers were expected to follow. This home decor represents the late 1800s.
Named because Jesse James would sleep in the yard outside of this, his friend’s home, while he and his men would travel from Missouri to Logan County, Kentucky to see his fiancé Zerelda Mimms. After a nine-year engagement and traveling to see her, they married in 1874. This 1860s home is currently under reconstruction.
The Lewis House was built in 1842 and Robert Peyton Lewis was born here in 1845. The home served as a family home for Mr. and Mrs. George W. Lewis and their 13 children, as well as a lookout for Union Soldiers.
Also built in the 1840s, the Baggett Smokehouse was used to preserve meat for the family. During the winter, hog meat was smoked to preserve it for later use.
Ear corn was stored in the corn crib for both the family and the animals. This structure was built in the 1840s.
Built in the 1840s, this building features very large logs and extra-fine dovetail notches.